Sunday, November 20, 2011

I still don't get it!

We live adjacent to an adult lifestyle community, as they're called.

So yesterday, I'm heading out to a writing memoir workshop some miles away and I stop at the end of our road. Ahead of me, one of those 'adult's' is backing out of his driveway, and I turn in front of him (i.e. he's not yet out on the street). Lo and behold, before long he's zooming past. Not sure if he's feeling competitive because of the suped-up Golf I drive, courtesy of our son, but in the end I think, "Oh well, if he's in such a hurry..."

I follow him along only to realize where he's so desperate to get to. Can you guess? Yes, folks, our nearest Tim Hortons.

Sorry, but I still don't get it. Just 15 mins before, my husband and I had enjoyed a hard-to-beat latte in the warmth and comfort of our own home. No jumping into the car and racing off, no idling in the drive-thru lane, no sipping through a hole in the cheap plastic lid, only to burn your tongue on the way back.

I suppose it's a culture thing. Must be true, that old saying about taking the girl out of the country, but not being able to take the country out of the girl. When it comes to coffee drinking, give me the European way!