Friday, November 11, 2011

The eleventh of the eleventh

I like how people around the world are taking the opportunity today to pray for peace and meditate on how things (and us!) need to change. Just before the news this morning I heard a Bob Marley song about not needing no more trouble. And I wondered... is this true? Have we really and finally had enough trouble to realize we're sliding down a slippery slope? And, more important, to find the will to do something about it?

There has to be hope if we can stop and think and re-evaluate. Which is what I'll be doing in my own small way. i.e. think about the direction my life, my work, my thoughts are going. And, hopefully, fix some things that are going wrong.

Speaking of thoughts, on this remembrance day I'm always there, at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. It made such an impression on me when I first saw it at the age of fourteen, the wide street, the austere light grey monument.

But also I think about my late younger brother, who's birthday it was.

And, on a lighter note, I was amused by the columnist who called today 'corduroy' day because 11 11 11 looks like the ridges on corduroy fabric. Yes, I'll be wearing my cords today. How about you?