Friday, November 25, 2011

Geese

In South Africa, where I've spent many years of my life, Canadian geese hardly exist. You're more likely to come across a pair of Egyptian geese, actually, and most probably on the ground rather than in the air. So my present experience of seeing those skeins layered in the sky, hearing the honking, is something that's special to my life here in North America.

How many of them will actually fly south? And when will they go? Maybe a good many have already come down from farther north.

Somehow, I still marvel at the geese, particularly at the numbers. But right now I feel a particular kind of affinity because I'm about to pack my bags and head down to the southern hemisphere for almost three weeks. I'll try and do some blogging, but it could be sporadic seeing as I've decided not to take any electronic device with me.

Meanwhile, I've got a couple of days in hand, so I'll catch you again before I leave.