Monday, November 21, 2011

Autumn's procession almost over

'Trust the process'! This is a maxim I hear often as applied to creativity, inspiration, imagination, listening to your subconscious or, as I prefer to think of it, my superconscious.

Over the last weeks I've been revelling in the process of autumn. Maybe this has to do with the fact that the fall has been so extended, which meant I had time to sink into appreciation of the 'off' colours. No primaries around, except for the pale cobalt of the sky. So I've been drinking in the greys, browns, muted greens of lawns and conifers, the straw of.. well, straw, and cornstalks serried through the fields.

And then I remember that extreme reluctance I felt at having to say 'goodbye' to summer. Why? I should have been grateful for and accepting of the change... just as I now should start looking towards the colder, bleaker days of winter.

Maybe that's stretching it a bit!