Monday, November 14, 2011

Bike riding

Having just got back from a blustery ride, I can tell you that I really enjoy my bike. Probably I've shared this with you a time or two already ('what, again?' you shout). The thing is I love the pace. And no, I don't do the racing thing with sleek lycra covered legs to match. I'm always inclined to slip into the zone while walking or biking, so take things fairly leisurely. The difference between the two is, I think, the sense of empowerment I get while riding my 'camel'.

This term originated back in the early 'Sixties after a trip to the Pyramids, a ride on a camel, and a subsequent two week spring bicycle tour of Holland. My friend and I started off in Rotterdam, having taken the train and a ferry from London. So we rode around the city a bit. Shall I say... cobbled streets? Do you need any more explanation?

I doubt it.

Anyhow, it was a trip that stayed vividly in my memory, long after other continental excursions had faded to the back of my mind. I think it was the connection with nature, seeing the fields, smelling the silage (phew!), battling wind and rain on a couple of inclement weather days. Plus we enjoyed the youth hostel breakfasts of bread and cheese and chocolate spread!