Thursday, November 24, 2011

First snowfall

During the night on Tuesday, I was conscious of a change of light. So it wasn't such a big surprise to wake up yesterday morning and find our world transformed to white. Snow was still falling gently, the kind that's easy to pack and makes wonderful snowballs and snowmen. In fact, I saw a great one of the latter this morning and resolved for the twentieth time to go with that old slogan and 'carry a camera'. Trouble is my purse is already pretty heavy.

Later in the day I looked out my window to see our neighbour's boys getting into a snowball fight. That made me smile. And later still, I drove out into darkened streets. Maybe it was also because it was the dark of the moon night, but it seemed to me the whole city was hunkered down, musing somehow on the special season to come. Of course, already we have Christmas lights up and Christmas music on the radio. I remind myself that that's okay. As long as I remember it's Advent we'll be going into this Sunday and that the holidays will extend over the Thirteen Holy Nights, I feel good about it all. I'll go forward in a mood of quiet anticipation.