Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Writing black and blue

Here's a confession. I still prefer to do my creative writing (not the blogging!) using pen and paper. Other writers like the speed of instant composition on the computer. Me, I like the space between. i.e. The thought appears, and some words to convey it (hopefully!), but that small pause between brain and hand somehow provides me with the opportunity for serendipity, for the words to rearrange themselves, perhaps, or for some unheard music/rhythm to happen.

But there's another aspect I've wondered about recently. Does it make a difference if I use a blue pen rather than a black? My husband definitely prefers the blue. In fact, I used to like writing with a pencil best of all because there's more traction on the paper. Then I found the graphite was more difficult to read over after a lapse of time and switched to what we used to call ball pen. Of course, years ago, after reading Nathalie Goldberg's 'Writing Down the Bones' I went out and bought the fountain pen she recommended. Did that make a beneficial difference? I don't think so. It was more nuisance than anything else.

So now, I suppose a blue pen brings something gentler, more ruminative perhaps, than the black. Anyhow, I'm going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment