Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th July

Driving through New York State today, we passed a 4th July parade about to happen. Earlier in the day, the young woman in the coffee shop we stopped at wished us a 'happy 4th'.

Patriotism is an interesting thing. Years ago when I began writing 'Cape Town', my writing tutor who helped me through the first draft said I shouldn't describe my heroine as having patriotic feelings because that was an out-of-date sentiment. Now I'm wondering if he'd say the same today. It strikes me that most people still have a deep connection to the country where they live, were born, and/or brought up. And why not? Surely we should be grateful for all we've gained from our lands.

Perhaps there's a balance here, as in so many things. If patriotism becomes nationalism then it's a different beast entirely. But I think it's good to stop and celebrate, as long as we do it with the right kind of consciouness and intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment