Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Taking photos

I sent a friend some pics from our recent trip down south. She complimented me and said they looked professional. No, it was just me. Although at the mid to late teenage stage in my life I did contemplate taking up photography in a serious way. While at the Royal Ballet School I went through quite a few black and white rolls. In a way it's a pity my mother was so not a pack rat, because there could be some historically interesting snaps there, if they still existed.

However, at some point in my twenties, on my travels to exotic places such as Zanzibar, I realized that I was walking around with my consciousness more directed to what might make a good photo than to what I was actually experiencing in a more general way. So I cut back and even got to the point where, in some years, I didn't take any photos at all.

Now I think (hope!) I've found the balance. Photography is fun for me again and I don't let 'keeping that eye open for a pleasing image' rob me of being in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment