Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fluttering by

I was without easy internet access for the last past of the week, plus I was away taking care of writing business and visiting old friends. Riding my bicycle this morning, I realized the simple prose poem I wrote could well be relevant to the title of my blog. So here it is.

In the bathroom, walls glazed with cerulean
Slipping into sky blue with touches of lime.

Lily pads bear white lotus flowers.
And underneath the wall sconce,
a yellow butterfly clings in profile
casting an instant (yet temporary)
Spell of invisibility.

A single dragonfly by the door ...
Flying out...

And later, at Heidi's, there's more:
This time, double-winged, the dragonfly
Zooms over the overflowing, blooming
flowerpots nearby.
While a butterfly -- white not yellow --
Does its frilly dance, hovering above
the fancy-edged white petunias.

So I wonder,
These insects, are they sent to say
Strengthen your wings and fly?

No comments:

Post a Comment