Friday, April 29, 2011

A Westminster Wedding

What to say when, in my mind, I've been in London all morning? Maybe simply that I'm grateful for the years I lived in that city, and today even more for the fact that one of the first boroughs I got to know was Westminster. My great-aunt lived in a flat on Horseferry Road (how do you like that?) and I often went to spend weekends with her. Favourite Sunday afternoon haunts were Westminster Abbey and the Tate Gallery. Even better, at that time the number of tourists was minimal compared to today. In the 'Sixties, when May came around, we'd notice the influx of Americans. How different it all is now.

As I watched the proceedings in real time I kept on getting flashbacks to old memories, all good ones fortunately! But would I have liked to have been there, in the crowds? I don't think so. The intimate view brought by modern technology was just so incredible, and to be able to share in the ceremony so amazing. Maybe, if I'd been younger, or actually invited to the wedding, my opinion would have been different.

Catherine is a beautiful, brave young woman. But I'm still puzzling over the deeper significance of wearing a dress with a train. My silly side suggests having yards of fabric trailing behind you might stop you rushing down the aisle. Or maybe it would hinder the quick exit if you happened to change your mind at the last minute? Certainly it adds to the dignitas of the occasion. Still, there has to be something more to it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I spent a day in London a few years ago. We came in from Norwich by train to Liverpool St Station.
    We had a wonderful day strolling around the city. Unfortunately, Westminster Abbey was shrouded in scaffolding and netting so we couldn't see it that well.
    I'd love to go back and spend more time there.
    The day we were there was sunny, hot and humid but we could see the dark clouds looming over what we found out later was Wimbledon. We didn't get rain until we returned to Norwich but the tennis that day had been rained out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it didn't rain on you, Melanie. Thanks for sharing the memory.

    ReplyDelete