Saturday, April 16, 2011

Record Store Day

Yesterday I mentioned Earth Day. Today, according to my man, is Record Shop Day, when you're supposed to remember/think/blog about the first record you ever brought. Yes, Nostalgia City, big time.

However, rack my brains as much as I may, I can't recall the first disk I ever bought. Obviously, it wasn't that memorable. But my husband can remember his. In fact, we still have it. This is a 9 inch vinyl recording of Fats Waller, still in its sleeve, with a photo of the musician himself and the title 'Aint Misbehaving'. Many, many many's the time we've listened to it over the past fifty years and it's still fabulous. Although, I have to confess, since we downsized I haven't found a good place to put our turntable and so it lurks in the basement. One of these days...

Music is one of the great pleasures in my life. I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to listen, especially when it's a live performance, still the bestest way to go. And I'm fairly eclectic in my tastes. That is, I was, up until a few years ago. Now I no longer manage to keep up with pop music, don't do rap much at all (I think that's when I started to lose it). Like many other things, music has become so varied and complicated today. So now I'm faced with a dilemma. Should I make an effort to be more au courant, or shall I simply Let It Be?

No comments:

Post a Comment