Saturday, April 30, 2011

Catch it while we can?

Spring, that is. It seems to me that we really only have three seasons, here on the Eastern side of North America. Spring is so fleeting that it hardly qualifies as a full season. Yes, I'm thrilled today's a beautiful day and that any minute now the trees will burst into leaf, but oh, I long for a more gradual transition. Am I complaining about these last bleak months we've lived through? You bet I am.

Compensation is at hand, however. This morning I began removing those heavy and dark winter woollies from my closet and replacing them with lighter, more colourful clothes. And man, does that ever feel good. Even if I'm not quite wearing them yet.

Years ago in South Africa I had a friend who told me, to my great surprise, that she loved winter clothes. Well, she was British. Sadly, she and her family emigrated to New Zealand and we lost touch. But I think she liked the fact that, in those ancient days, winter clothes were slightly more formal. As for me, my bliss is to wear three garments only. Two kinds of underwear and a light dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment