Friday, April 15, 2011

Soap crisis!

I should have waited to post this for earth day, but seeing as my need is immediate you're going to get it now. And therein lies the problem. I can't get it now. A bar of soap, that is.

My preference is to use a plant-based soap, usually Weleda Iris, but I can't get that locally and am not a fan of internet ordering. The last time I ordered a cosmetic on-line, we had to collect the package from a location a fair distance away, so apart from the nuisance factor there was the cost to the environment and the gas cost to us.

When I went into our nearest source of such things (Pharma Plus, actually), I noticed a drastic reduction in the range of bars of soap. Pump containers and tubes are taking over. Frankly, I don't this is good. Consider the pump. Great for the manufacturers because I'll bet you that 99 times out of 100 you use more of the product than is necessary. Never good for the environment, when you think how how water is increasingly polluted. Also, like those tubes, when it's done what are you left with? Plastic.

Now, when you use a bar of soap, what you're left with is a tiny sliver. And even this can be useful because you can do as my mother used to, and put it in your linen closet or down the side of your upholstered chairs to keep the towels, sheets, etc. smelling fresh and unmouldy.

We're so clever today at making basics more convenient, but sometimes there's something to be said for certain old-fashioned ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment