Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Do you know what the birds say?

That's the Shakespeare quote that's been much on my mind since yesterday. Although the weather was chilly, the sunshine was glorious and the wind had stilled after the blustery gusts of the weekend and Monday. Suddenly I heard a loud bump and saw that two quarreling birds had hit the side of our house. One fell dead immediately. The other landed on the deck and lay stunned. Not wanting to frighten it to death and hoping it would recover, I didn't go outside until hours later when I found it had moved a bit. So I took out a saucer of water and sure enough it manoeuvered closer and drank a few sips. Only a few minutes later, it too lay dead.

And then again, came a bang and another bird lay dead on the grass. I think that one flew into a window. Came a flurry to stir the air and a whole fleet of their companions were fluttering in our maple tree and that of our neighbour. After checking our bird book, my husband told me they were waxwings and that they liked to strip trees of berries. Not that our maples have such things (do they?) Now today the flock are still busy in our street.

So, in this 'still' week, I'm wondering, do these birds do as the ones mentioned by Shakespeare (the swallow, the dove...) and say 'I love, I love'?

No comments:

Post a Comment