Monday, March 31, 2014

The way things change

"Nobody uses cups and saucers anymore," my cousin said when I last visited her in Cape Town. "So I'm giving you tea in a mug, even though my mother must be turning in her grave."

I think both her statements are pretty close to the truth. Ask yourself, when last did you drink tea out of a cup and saucer? My answer would be: This morning. But I confess I use a mug at various times, oh yes. That's usually when I'm making tea for just me and not my husband, who tends to drink hot water.

Anyhow, I was think about this, and why a saucer is actually quite useful. First of all, it protects the table or other surface underneath the cup from heat, thus eliminating the need for a coaster. Next, it provides a convenient place for your teaspoon. And lastly, perhaps most important, a nice little cache for your tea-time cookie!

So please, folks, don't ditch all your cups and saucers. You never know when I might be coming to tea! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment