Monday, March 17, 2014

Wearing the Green

Yes, I'll be wearing my pin-tucked, Banana Republic emerald-green silk blouse today in honour of St. Patrick. Such an interesting saint, don't you think?


It was around 1990 when I paid my one and only visit to Ireland. On arrival at Cork airport, I discovered I had a couple of hours to wait before I could catch the bus to Dunvegan, where my elder son would be waiting for me... I hoped!

There I saw many pamphlets available with offers to help you find your Irish ancestors. That was the moment I realized something that had hardly entered my consciousness before: 'Hey, my great-grandfather was Irish.' So that was why my grandmother used to exclaim 'Thank the Pope!' when she was grateful and relieved, even though she was brought up by a strictly Calvinistic step-mother!!

We spent a wonderful weekend. The weather was kind and we were able to tour around a bit. The air was kind of tingly and I felt as if at any minute I might perceive a leprechaun peeping at me from around one of those low stone walls. That made me think about how many of the Irish are naturally clairvoyant, and wonder too if that's why many of them are famous drinkers. We know from Rudolf Steiner that drinking alcohol can kill clairvoyance. Both my mother and my grandmother were somewhat clairvoyant, and they both had a tendency towards alcohol which they fortunately managed to control.

My only regret about that magical weekend was that we didn't get to go to the pub and enjoy some traditional Irish fiddling! And no, in case you're interested, as a rule I don't drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment