Thursday, March 6, 2014

The drawbacks of being in the third age (for a writer!)

At the moment I'm busy writing a novella to publish soon after I get my two new contemporary, chicklitty romances up as ebooks. For this post, the key word is 'contemporary' because it's important for my writing vocabulary to stay current. This is not so easy to achieve, simply because I don't hang out with many twenty and thirty year olds!

My big dilemma right now is an adjective I have close to the beginning of my story... a vital place because that's where I want to draw readers in and not put them off. So I describe a bar as 'trendy'. But now I'm agonizing and asking advice as to whether this works or not. I was going to substitute 'popular', but that conveys a crowded venue and I'm not sure that's right for the situation.

In general, I delight in overhearing new vernacular expressions and terms. The best times were where when I used to ride the bus in Brighton. My ears would be flapping! I suppose there's a deeper explanation of the fact that language is constantly changing and this is, surely, proof that we as human beings are constantly evolving. Let's just pray we're going in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment