Sunday, November 21, 2010

'Tis the Season...

... for Advent/Christmas fairs, and merry they have been so far. On Saturday my husband and I drove past dry, golden fields until we reached the German Club house, home of an annual bazaar. We were fairly early, but already the place was buzzing. Now that we've been there three years in a row, I know pretty much what's available and what I want to buy. So I'm happily stocked with stollen, and chocolate covered ginger cookies and chocolate covered marzipan. Those will be kept for next month when Advent is here.

I was thinking how we actually have more than one start to the year. Advent is the traditional Christian beginning, then we have the 1st January, soon after comes the Chinese new year and sometime later the Jewish new year. We have Michaelmas, the start of the academic year, and for anthroposophists who work with Rudolf Steiner's Calendar of the Soul, we begin at Easter. So, lots of opportunities for New Years resolutions and renewed efforts to change old habits and put new, better ones in place... always a good and strengthening thing to do.

This morning our son and grandsons came to fetch me to go to the Waldorf School fair. The boys went straight into a puppet show while I greeted friends and acquaintances, bought a beautiful Advent calendar and went for coffee. Again, we had a fun time and came home with suitable loot.

I rather coveted one thing I saw which wasn't for sale. A guy was wearing a black tee shirt. The white writing on the front said, 'If all the world's a stage, I need better lighting!!'

No comments:

Post a Comment