Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance Day

When I first went to live in England at the age of thirteen, we arrived in Southampton by ship from South Africa on the 3rd September. That year I was able to experience the solemnity of standing in Whitehall, London and close to the Cenotaph, on Remembrance Day. Watching the wreath-laying made a deep impression on me.

And now, on this day, I carry an extra remembrance... that of my younger brother, whose birthday was on the 11th November and who died at the age of 45. As I think of him, I remember the sweetness of his smile, and his nature, and all he meant to me. But I also realize how unaware I was of what I, the big sister, meant to him.

I have read that it's important for us to understand, or at least get some idea of, the effect we have on other people. I guess I'm mostly busy with the effect people have on me, so this is something I'll have to learn. Perhaps there's always something we can learn from our loved ones who have passed over as we consider the role they played in our lives, and the role we played in theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment