Saturday, November 13, 2010

In and out the doors

Yesterday I spent a pleasant hour or so in the park with my grandsons. The weather was glorious -- not at all cold, for which I was grateful because it meant the boys could run around outside. Before we left, I unlocked our front door, but we actually went out through the garage to collect tricycle and bicycle. On our way home I thought 'maybe we'll go in through the front', but then I thought 'no'.

This reminded me of my mother, and her superstition that visitors should always go out through the same door they came in. I can still hear her saying, "You'd better go out the back way, because that's how you came in." (for example). Now, for the life of me, I can't think how this superstition might have arisen. There has to be some kind of historical or convenient context for it, surely?

Another thing which I think I've mentioned before, is that she always wanted me to cut my nails on a Monday. If I did them before noon, I'd get a present... which, of course, came true when I was little. I can get my head around this, kind of. Monday is Moonday, after all, and we know that our hair and nails grow slower on the waning moon. As a grower of vegetables, I also know that mostly they're better off picked in the morning before the day gets too hot.

But in and out the doors? I'm still puzzling over that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment