Thursday, November 25, 2010

p.s. on digital

A friend told me something interesting the other day. Apparently, when digital watches came out, it was presumed that analog was dead. However, time (!) proved otherwise. After puzzling about this, the powers that be (or maybe the watchmakers and sellers) realized the reason.

Apparently, people like to have a sense of where they are in the day. Digital watches and clocks simply don't deliver in this way.

It's ages since I wore a watch. Not that I have anything against them. In fact, I have been known to gaze covetously at the adornments on friends' wrists. Yet somehow -- mostly because the couple I possess are in need of repair -- watches have gradually faded out of my life. What I find is that I usually have a pretty good idea what time it is, give or take about fifteen minutes.

In London days when I lived in Bayswater (yes, the FRObisher district), I used to travel to school by bus. Waiting for the right number of red double decker to swing into the stop could be frustrating, especially when two or three would appear in a clump. But once on board, I'd sit back and relax... and measure my progress by various clocks I'd see on the way. I wonder how many of those still exist today?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brenda,

    Years ago I was travelling in Europe with a friend. She had a watch, I didn't. I'd ask her what time it was, and she'd make me guess. After a short time, I became very, very good at guessing within a couple of minutes.

    Needless to say I lost that ability when I bought my own watch. I relied on the watch instead of myself.

    P.S. I'm liking that you're posting more!

    Susanne

    ReplyDelete