Saturday, October 25, 2008

Who's looking at me?

It's happened a couple of mornings this week. I open up my lap top, and there's this tiny green eye shining at me -- the webcam. Now, I didn't leave it on, or turn it on, so what's it doing there? I tell you, this kind of freaks me out. Who would be looking at me??

In the days of apartheid when we lived in Cape Town, our next door neighbour was a retired school-inspector. He was a good neighbour to us, but maybe a little over-interested in our visitors who were not restricted to 'whites' 'European's, whatever you like to call them. What impressed me though, was how, when he came into our home, he'd clearly be taking in every detail of his surroundings. As a writer, it would be useful if I had enhanced abilities like his!

At the moment I'm taking an on-line course on self-publishing, run by a teacher. She comments how strange it is to be doing this, like talking into a mirror with few responses! That's kind of like writing a blog, I guess. But what about Facebook. That's different, isn't it? Yes. But the question still nags at me: 'Who's looking at us?'

No comments:

Post a Comment