Sunday, October 12, 2008

Giving thanks

Yes, I know for us Canadians tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and we will celebrate the bounty of the harvest festival. However, I can snatch a few minutes from preparation right now, so I thought I'd do it. So often my thoughts flit in and out of my head and never hear the click of my computer keys.

I confess. I don't give thanks often enough. This is something I need to work on because I have so very much to be grateful for. The thing is, I don't make the space in my mind and that means my time fills up with other activities, both inner and outer. So my resolution this Thanksgiving will be to make a conscious effort, every day, to give thanks for all the blessings, enormous, great, mid-size, small and teeny-weeny, that come into my life and sustain me.

For instance, already today: a cup of tea in bed, sunshine, shelter, laundry on the line, the enjoyment of preparing the house for the family celebrations, the chance email gives me to connect with far flung friends... well, you get the gist. Hmm. Seems to me this could get complicated. Maybe I'll go with a suggestion I heard recently: to think of three things every day and give thanks for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment