Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall

"October is my favourite month."
"Fall is the season I love best."

I've heard both these comments over the past few days and can say... well, with the colours so spectacular this year, I'm getting into it. But I don't think I could say that autumn is my favourite season, simply because I carry a dread of winter. Being from the south, it's still an effort for me to cope with ice and cold.

On the other hand, I'm amazed to find 15 degrees C quite warm, when just a month ago I thought anything below 20 felt freezing. The body is truly wonderful. Every year (yes, I remember mentioning this in a previous post) I find it awe-inspiring that I can adjust. But like another friend, I found letting go of summer quite difficult this year.

Talking and thinking about the weather is something that interests me. I like to do it. When I lived in England, I felt bad about this because the current attitude was that you only mentioned the weather if you had nothing better to talk about. Then I read in a lecture by Rudolf Steiner that it's a good topic of conversation because the weather is what people have in common. Ever since, I've felt better and even justified.

What I do like about the fall is the particular quality of stillness you can experience. Today, in fact, the air was so still that, as we passed the airport, we saw that planes were taking off in all different directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment