Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime. Summer time?

Today our temperture is going to feel like 40 degrees, with the humidity. For me this means I'm in danger of turning into a 'grease spot', as we used to say in the days when I shared a flat with my cousin in Earls Court, London. Yes, it can get pretty hot and sticky in good olde England.

So I got out into the garden early to plant some beans, and hoe the strawberries. How it works with us is that my husband does the digging and soil preparation and I plant the veg, water, and pick the harvest. What about weeding? Hmm. I'm not too good at that. Usually, I'll get help from the man of the house if he sees me toiling on hands and knees.

All this to say is that it's definitely feeling like summer to me. And at the solstice on the 21st, I'll consider it Midsummer, although, strictly speaking, that's only the beginning of this warm and wonderful season. This made me think of how many times my actual experience is in disagreement with what 'science decrees'. I suppose that's okay, seeing as science changes its mind on a daily basis (sorry, I have no figures to back up that statement!). So I wonder in general, for us humans, what do we deem more true? What science decrees or what we experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment