Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Earthquakes and Eclipses

Today, a poem for you, one I wrote last week and which is self-explanatory.

THE FIERY MOON
I woke this morning
early dawning
and out my window,
looking North, I saw the sun.
But no! of course, it was the moon,
yet gold and shining so
under a stripey cloud of grey
that I wasn't truly sure.

But I looked North.
It couldn't, shouldn't be the sun;
And what if it were?
If the earth had tilted
and changed
North to a new East?

All my certainty would be gone;
the ground beneath my feet now
twisted to a new reality.
And I'd be forced to ask myself
Why? and Whose fault is this?
Could it be mine?

What if it were ours?

I saw the moon again last night. Fortunately it was in its usual place, and shining silvery-white rather than glowing golden. So I thought about the eclipse that we wouldn't see. As a child I was much struck by the movie 'A Yankee in King Arthur's Court' (no, sadly, I didn't know it was based on a book). One New Year's Eve in South Africa I sat on our front lawn and watched a complete eclipse of the moon.
What an amazing sight that was.
Today is the third eclipse over the last weeks. That feels like strange things happening in the heavens, although presumably they're still ordered as always. I have to say, though, that the tilting of the axis that occurred with the earthquakes does feel rather scary to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment