Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Setting a Trend

For me, exercise has to be fun. Although I was never much of a walker when I was younger, over the years I got into it and enjoyed the pace and the chance to observe as I perambulated along. My husband would urge me to walk faster, lengthen my stride, but I soon found that interfered with my will to walk. So I took it at my own pace and, over the years, naturally got a bit quicker and walked farther.

But now that I'm waiting for a hip replacement (yes, folks by the time it actually happens I'll have waited over a year!!!) I can't walk more than a few yards without a struggle. However, I can ride a bike. Isn't that wonderful? I suppose it's because my legs don't bear the weight and the movement is forward and back rather than veering to one side or the other, which is not good for me.

So I can get out and enjoy being under God's heaven, look at the sky, clouds and the changing trees, appreciate the way so many households in our neighbourhood have mounds of colourful chrysanthemums in their outdoor pots. I'm very grateful for this.

But I've also noticed that since I've been riding around, gradually more and more of us oldies are hitting the streets with recreational rather than 'serious' bicycles. And why not? It's not necessary to have all the gear, although I do wear a helmet. That was on the advice of my daughter-in-law and I thought, 'well, you never know'. Even though I take to the backstreets at the quietest times of the day, it's still good to be cautious about road safety.

So, having written that, it's time for me to get out there. I just hope the wind is not too strong.