Friday, March 11, 2011

What would we do without Mozart?

A while ago I wrote a poem entitled 'What would we do without Debussy'. On this tragic morning, though, I'm listening to the exquisite and uplifting Mozart Concerto N27. However, when I turned on the radio, I wasn't paying particular attention, being involved in my own thoughts and feelings. There I was, sitting putting on my make-up in anticipation of an excursion, and I suddenly thought, 'Hey. Stop. Listen and pay attention'. The moment I did, gratitude filled me for this wonderful music.

Now, it took me long years to really get into classical music. At ballet school we used to be taken to the Festival Hall in London to listen to rehearsals. Often, we'd be so bored (Hindemith, anyone?) that we were reduced to counting the bald heads in the orchestra. Yes, in those days they were in the majority. At university I began to listen a bit here and there, but I'd say it was another twenty years before I truly began to appreciate and access the great richness that listening to classical music can bring. Especially when it's live.

So, thank you to those who dedicate their lives in order that we can all be enriched.

No comments:

Post a Comment