Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Small rituals that bring comfort

Yesterday was a dreaded day, because I was confronted with a visit to the endodontist. Of course, that brings to mind the expression 'I need that like I need a root canal'. Anyhow, not to keep you in suspense, this all went well and the guy was excellent, had nimble fingers and an efficient but caring manner. I'm recovering quickly, and am much relieved.

So there I was, getting ready, standing in the bathroom putting on moisturizer and stroking my face in the massage-movements I learned for this process many moons ago. And again, I found myself pausing for a second and thinking, 'This feels good. Comforting'. Yes, we know that touch is important, but usually we connect that with having a massage or being enveloped in a warm hug.

I'm grateful for these moments that feel like a grace.

Years ago when I was in my mid-teens I suffered from acne. Really terrible. My mother started taking me with her to the aesthetician, what we'd call a spa today, and Swiss Annabelle was the one who taught me the facial massage movements. My mom thought it important to 'take care of your skin' and she was surely right, living in that sunburned country that is South Africa, and even more intense, being exposed to the sunshine that dries the skin so much when you're 6,000 feet up (in Johannesburg). So she passed the habit onto me. I find it a good one, although I keep my cosmetic usage fairly simple. She did too, but I remember how these simple but inessential daily rituals added to her quality of life as she grew older and older. And when at last she let go of them, she released her hold on something. Maybe that was a help too.

Now I'm trying to think of other examples. I shall try and observe!

No comments:

Post a Comment