Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Brush with Royalty. Really.

After watching 'The King's Speech' I did some web research. One of the facts I discovered was that David, the Prince of Wales and sometime, almost King Edward VIII, was born in White Lodge in Richmond Park.

This was the Georgian mansion (built by George III) where I spent two years as a boarder. Often when I fly into London Heathrow I look out of the window (I prefer a window seat because of that extra little bit of space it gives) and easily spot the building and surrounds. Then I indulge in a little nostalgia, mostly for the beautiful gardens-that-were, and the many walks in the park.

When I first went to London, the ballet company and school were still called Sadlers Wells. The school was still at Barons Court. And then came royal patronage, the move to Richmond Park and the name change. Princess Margaret became the patron of the school. At White Lodge she graced the official opening with her presence. I was fortunate enough, as a representative of the colonies, to be one of the pupils presented to her. Before the big day we were all given lessons in the correct way to curtsey and everything went fine.

What was my impression? That, in spite of her lovely smile, her photographs didn't do her justice. And what really amazed me was the incredible bloom, the true English rose of her complexion. Yes, she truly lived up to her name of Margaret Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment