Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Coffee time?

Although I love coffee, I know it's poison for the heart. Because I have to pay attention to this, I go with my doctor's advice and restrict myself to one cup a day. Which I drink mid-morning.

Right. So I want to savour this moment for sure. Unfortunately, what I've found is that I take a break, not by sitting and relaxing and spending a little social time with my husband, no. Both of us go back to our computers, and I check out a certain publishing-related blog, as well as facebook and twitter. But you know what? When I'm absorbed in what's going on on screen, I don't even taste the coffee, let alone smell it.

Something's gotta change.

Musings led me back to when I first started drinking coffee. As a child, coffee didn't feature in our home. We were all tea-drinkers, and this continued during my first couple of years in England. But then came... the coffee-bar culture! We'd hang around in the trendily-decorated (and dark) little shops such as The Troubadour, where we could also catch some live folk singing and skiffle. Cappuccinos were the order of the day, and surely they remain my favourite.

Ah, how innocent was my teenage time!

No comments:

Post a Comment