Saturday, June 7, 2008

The year gone by and started

So it's a year since I moved cities in order to be closer to family and look after the little person. Spring has followed winter, winter came after autumn, and autumn after summer, and I've experienced the full cycle of the year. Having made many adjustments and a start on becoming familiar with the seen and unseen elements of this new environment, I'm in a different place from where I was a year ago, and, hopefully, I'm a better person. Yes, there've been many changes and challenges, not least to my not-as-good-as-it-used-to-be energies. How many times I've been exhausted. How many times exhilarated through this great privilege of watching a child grow during these crucial first three years (two on Wednesday). Generally, though, it's been good. So there is a cyclical element, but also, hopefully (again), progress.

Right now, it feels like the start of a new year to me. This made me wonder: what or when really is the start of a new year. Is it via the calendar that says January? Or September, the time of Michaelmas when school and everything else starts up again after the summer break? But what about Advent, the start of the church year? And then there's also Easter, where my Calendar of the Soul weekly verses begin.

As I begin to dream into summer, my own vote would be for September. This for me is when the zing of autumn brings new zest and strength for new initiatives and generally helps me to get down to the business and creativity of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment