Thursday, June 26, 2008

The delight of delphiniums

(Can't resist the alliteration!)
As yet, the flowers in our new garden are few. But we do have some that I've been trying to grow ever since coming to North America. Yes, the delphiniums are looking splendid. This morning aI indulged myself and picked a couple for a vase. I've an idea they're the same variety as my family in England grow -- Arthur and Guinevere. How romantic is that?

Actually, I've recently finished the first two volumes of Mary Stewart's trilogy, The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills. They're simply wonderful, the mood she creates so magical. Makes me wish I wrote historical novels.

The other flowers I'm really happy to grow here are tulips. Yes, we had a few in South Africa, but those bulbs had to be replanted every year and never looked as stunning as they do in cooler climes.

No comments:

Post a Comment