Monday, June 23, 2008

Summer time

So the solstice has passed and here we are in the height of summer. The trouble is I haven't yet learned to change seasons quickly enough so that I make the absolute most of it. It only dawned on me this past week that I could take my laptop out onto the deck and thus move to an outdoor 'office'. Not that I'm out there right now. It's raining.

But it was a beautiful weekend, the trees already heavy with leaves, the new growth settling in and making them larger and fuller, and the hay looking like it'll soon be ripe enough to cut.

Not having seen our new grandson since Friday, we popped over yesterday evening. How much he'd changed during those 48 hours! It's truly amazing. Those early weeks, months, years go by so quickly and the changes are so immense. I guess it's lucky that this process slows down considerably as we age. At least, I hope it does!

Yesterday I attended an end of the year social. Yes, I'm still in the early stages of creating a new circle of friends. Before setting off I actually took the time to sit down at my dressing table and put on make-up. Quite a bit. Much more than I usually do these days. When I checked my enhanced appearance I got quite a shock. It reminded me of the long ago days when I had a part-time job as a fashion model. The first morning I went into work my husband commented he felt like he was giving a stranger a ride! That was in the dolly-bird 'seventies when we wore false eyelashes. Amazing that they're here again.

Generally, as I get older, less seems to make more. I think I'll be happy enough to gently fade away!

No comments:

Post a Comment