Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Autumn Equinox

Now I suppose at the equinox we should feel nicely balanced. Can't say I'm quite in that sort of a space. In fact, earlier this morning I was telling myself 'Buck up, Brenda'.

So updating the blog is a start on that process. I hope!

What interests me broadly about the equinoxes and solstices is how our Christian festivals come soon after. Of course, this doesn't strictly apply to Easter, as it's a moveable feast. But St. Johns takes place three days after the summer solstice and Christmas three days after the winter. Michaelmas, on the 29th September, is eight days after the 21st. Why? My only thought was that maybe we need to experience a full week in between in order to access the Michael time of the year.  

In days of yore when I was at primary school, this term was called the Michaelmas term. Generally these days you don't hear much talk of archangels. Angels are much more au courant, and there's plenty to read and glean about them. Are we losing the higher hierarchy from our consciousness?

Autumn brings us some help in trying to connect with the archangel Michael, I think. All those fiery colours and the zing in the air banish the dreamy greens of summer and help us take up our swords to fight the good fight. I hope!