Thursday, February 10, 2011

Fashion and flares

I suppose it was predictable. After the skinny jeans and pants of the last few season, fashion now decrees the opposite: wide pants are in! Or so I learn via Jess Carter-Morley on the Guardian website. I usually enjoy her videos, in spite of the pigeon-toed stance she assumes for the modelling shots. Seeing as I bought a pair of wide-legged jeans and pair of another camel wool pants on the sales last year, I'm okay with that. Yes, sometimes you can get lucky and pick up things ahead of the trend.

I lost out once, though, with a mini skirt. Seeing it on sale I thought 'nah, we're never going to go for minis again.' How very wrong I was!

Fashion of course, is all about silhouette, so the easiest way for the manufacturers to get us to buy new is to go from one extreme to the other. After the mini-skirted 60's we soon went to the maxi-skirted '70s, and there's a bit of a trend in that direction now. Fortunately, though, there are so many different ways of dressing today that we don't really need to pay heed to anything we don't want to. It's all about choice. I like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment