Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Darning and ballet shoes

I bought my husband a cashmere sweater for $7. Yes, there was a snag... it has a hole where his left breast-pocket would be if he were wearing a jacket. No problem to darn it, but I knew straight away it would be difficult (impossible?) to find darning wool exactly that shade of blue. So I thought the best thing might be to cover the darn with a badge, presuming I can find such a thing.

The owner of the store and I agreed that what my husband needed was a Noddy badge. Mmm. Might also be difficult to find. Another option might be to convert the darn into some kind of logo, not an alligator, not a golfer, not a butterfly... I'm still thinking. Any suggestions dear readers?

Years ago when I was at ballet school we had to darn the toes of our new pointe shoes before wearing them for the first time. I wonder if students still do this. My darning was always admired, which I put down to having been taught to embroider at an early age. Stem stitch and lazy-daisy were the ones my mother started me off on, and with those I embellished a few tray cloths.

My mother-in-law, however, was a much more accomplished needlewoman. She made the sweetest smock for our elder daughter. Around the hem she embroidered small insects, and even put a little fly on her shoulder! Unfortunately, the dress got stained from peach and plum juice and at some stage I let it go. It's a pity I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment