Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's a stretch!

Recently, very recently, something wonderful has happened to me soon after I wake up in the mornings (as opposed to after my nap!!). That is, I'm seized by the urge to stretch. And I do. What an amazing feeling! I'm so happy to experience this after a long time. The thing is, making my own decision to stretch and carrying that out simply isn't the same. It doesn't bring that surge of energy and satisfaction, the sense of well-being.

Which is not to take away from the benefits of stretching. Ever since we were taught some back exercises at ballet school I've used various stretches as needed. But somehow the involuntary one feels like a gift. A bit like a good sneeze, I suppose. This, as I understand it, can shake you up in a good way... so rather the opposite of a stretch?

My dad used to get annoyed when I suddenly exploded in a sneeze. "Bren!" he used to chide. "Please!" I never understood what he expected me to do about it because there was no way I could suppress that impulse.

No comments:

Post a Comment