Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas time is over

Time is such a puzzling phenomenon, don't you think? Or maybe, better said, our experience of time. Over the past week I've been content to just enjoy the days and nights going by, not feeling compelled to engage too much with work and the world. Slowly, this is changing as I turn my attention towards the month and year ahead.

I suppose that's what a vacation is all about. First you go through the process of letting go, then (if you're lucky enough to have the time) you can just 'be' for a bit, and after that you start picking up the threads again. Just as well, or I'd be lying around in sloth for ever!!

It's interesting (confusing?) how the past, present and future intermingle in my mind though. I find it amazing how a long-forgotten memory can suddenly pop up. Sometimes there's an outer stimulus for this, but sometimes not. Weird really. And I find it fascinating how people I've shared experiences with often remember quite different aspects and incidents, reminding me how we all see the world somewhat differently, according to the particular lenses of our souls.

One of the perks of being a writer is that we're given the chance to view the world from the points of view of our protagonists. It's a good exercise, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment