Sunday, January 16, 2011

Home from the hills

Here I am, back home after almost three weeks vacation, and feeling renewed. To me, California is a little bit like a mix of the Johannesburg and Cape Town of my youth, mostly because they have much of the flora in common, plus the warm, dry air, which does me good.

I have a friend who always asks, 'What was the highlight of your trip?' Sometimes I have a hard time replying. But now this is easy to answer. Setting aside being with family, I was thrilled by the Getty Villa in Malibu. We were lucky enough to catch the last day of a special exhibit about the art of Ancient Greek theatre, and spent a couple of hours examining and admiring large black vases decorated with figures from tragedy and comedy. There was also a huge wall map showing where all the open air theatres were... so many!

It's a special pleasure to visit such beautiful surroundings and see an exhibition put on so well. I almost felt transported to that era, that I could slip into a different experience and see with different eyes. Very inspiring!

But sitting on the beach watching the waves wasn't so bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment