Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gifts and things

On this 26th day of December 2010 I wish you all blessed holy days and nights.

We had a happy time yesterday, and I'm delighted with my gifts. I now have Trax so that I can walk on ice, a folding knife and fork so I can eat the fruit I love whenever I travel (although not, of course, in an airport or plane), a book for relaxing reading and some other good stuff. Best of all, though, was being with the family and enjoying the turkey dinner my husband cooked... all organic and truly I believe this festive meal was the most delicious evah!!

No, we didn't do the traditional Christmas pud. I made meringue glace.

This morning I was topping up the water on a beautiful bowl of roses... yellow, actually, not red which would be more fitting for the season. But still, roses. I had to make several trips to and from the kitchen because the only jugs -- I mean, pitchers -- I have are small. A quick digression re speech... when I was a child my dear older cousin used to frequently admonish me, 'That's not a pitcher, it's a picture.' I had no idea what she meant!

The thing is, I did have a beautiful old cutglass pitcher that I bought for a small price at a little antique shop in Cape Town, down a narrow curvy road with old, cottagey buildings. I loved that jug, but sadly it got broken in our last move. This morning I remembered it and thought, 'I might have liked a new pitcher for Christmas'. The trouble is, I haven't found a shape I like. So I'll wait.

But this set me thinking how the few items of glass and crockery we've possessed and that I've really loved have all been broken, one way or another. It's okay, though. I use this as a reminder that they were, after all, only earthly possessions. I can give them a nod of regret and then acknowledged how abundantly blessed I am in many other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment