Saturday, September 18, 2010

Thieves of time

Procrastination, they say, is the thief of time. Sometimes I procrastinate, sometimes I don't. Mostly I have to find what feels like a good moment to do something that needs attention. A couple of my friends jump in straight away. For instance, you tell them someone wants them to phone and they pick up the handset straight away. Another friend might send an immediate email from her phone.

I might be envious at this quick reaction, but I'm also horrified by the thought. Mea culpa, maybe.

However, that's not really the main thrust of this post. What I've been thinking about lately is all those lost seconds that occur when we're waiting on our computers... to boot up, to load a website, to open a word document, whatever. I wonder how many wasted minutes that might add up to in my day. So I'm trying to find small chores I can do meanwhile. Waiting for my desk top, I can tidy a couple of items, or dust the screen. What I've been doing with my laptop, however, is attend to my fingernails. This works pretty well because otherwise it's too easy to neglect them and then they grow into funny shapes, split and break, and those precious tools of mine (my hands) don't feel as good as they should.

I'm waiting for inspiration to find more minuscule tasks, ones that can be done while sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment