Sunday, September 12, 2010

Changing a habit

I was going to start this post by asking a question: Do you think it gets harder to change a habit as you get older? Then I decided this was a no-brainer (well, you did it anyway, sez she).

The thing is, my habit has been to bath in the morning. Lying in the water for a few minutes, I found, allowed my mind to float. Often good ideas, new thoughts or inspirations, would drift to the surface. Now, however, I don't to get up and going quickly and don't really have the time to do this. So I decided to change my bath time to the evening. (And yes, in case you're wondering, I do take showers from time to time. I just don't find them so relaxing, more like refreshing and stimulating.)

Years ago, when our children were little -- we only had the three then -- I did the same switch. No problem at all. At the time, the bedroom of the smallish house we'd built only had a shower, so I'd trek down the passage to the children's bathroom for my soak. I especially remember Sunday nights, taking my radio in there to listen to 'Lloyd let loose'. David Lloyd, bless him, was one of those announcers with a soothing, intimate voice who chose music I always enjoyed. Ah, how relaxing was that! Although, I can still see the psychedelic wallpaper in front of my eyes: pink and purple swirls, girls!! It was the Seventies after all.

But I'm not finding the change easy and revert every now and then. This means I have to woosh through the bathwater, which kind of takes the pleasure out of the experience. Nevertheless, I'll persevere and hope to change this habit... except maybe on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment