Sunday, September 26, 2010

Autumn transition

Last week felt like a month went by to me. We had the autumn equinox, an eye-popping full moon, and the official start of fall. And the weather! Some heavy rain showers, a couple of cold days, and then a Friday afternoon when it almost felt like summer again.

I suppose this lurching from one thing to another often characterizes transitions. And just in case you're wondering how I'm doing with changing my habit, I'd say I'm successful about 65% of the time so far. That feels like winning!

At this time of the year I take particular pleasure in watching the sun rise. I suppose that's because it pops over the horizon at a convenient time in the morning for me. Plus, we're fortunate enough to have an east-facing window in our bedroom. For a few moments I can pause the getting-ready-for-the-day rush and open myself to the upliftment of the sunrise.

Then of course there's the amazement that comes with the glory of the autumn colours. I don't think I'll ever get used to the surprise, and the feeling of the warmth that begins to glow in me like a non-physical fire. I have to acknowledge once again what a wonderful gift it is for us, that we can experience and live with the changing seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment