Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Art of Gardening

I took a stroll around the block yesterday and came upon a lovely sight -- a maple tree, glowing yellow, that stood a little in front and to one side of a silver fir. The juxtaposition of those two brought such delight, and I thought, 'Isn't that part of the true art of gardening?'

Years ago I was fortunate enough to visit Sissinghurst in the south of England. Walking around, I was truly blown away by just this thing of juxtaposition. Not so much the flowers, but the shape and colour of leaves, how this plant set off the other at its side, or behind or in front. What amazing knowledge and imagination Vita Sackville-West and her husband (Harold?) must have had to create these exquisite beds and vistas. Also, of course, they planted with the awareness that their garden would only be at its best years in the future. Nowadays, in our suburban subdivisions its more of an instant thing: plant three shrubs when one would do so that the garden looks filled and established right away. Truly a different approach to garden design.

I wish I had the Sissinghurst kind of talent that I'm so in awe of, but it's not going to happen for me in this lifetime. Sometimes my husband and I achieve serendipitous effects, sure, but it's more by good luck than planning. Right now I'm doing the cutting down of dead perennials. Little by little it's getting done, and once the leaves have all fallen and been swept up, our modest garden will be ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment