Saturday, October 24, 2009

Songs and melodies (longer post)

In my life I often go about with a song in my heart or a melody on my mind. This is part of my birthright, a heritage from my Dad, who knew the words to so many songs, and cheerfully sang or whistled about the home. I'm happy with that, and so was my mother. In her later years I was kind of surprised to hear her say how much she enjoyed Willie Nelson, and in particular his song 'Crazy'. So I began to pay more attention to this artist, and soon after heard an interview with him by someone whose name I forget. But this guy asked Willie how he came up with so many songs and melodies and Willie answered in a most wonderful way. He said words to this effect: "Melodies are all around us, just out there, in the air. Can't you hear them? All we have to do is reach up and pluck one."

Doesn't this hark back to the time when we were all connected and could hear the harmonies of the spheres?

But today, our air is increasingly polluted, so I have to wonder if that's affecting all the music and songs that are being composed and widely distributed today. It struck me that most modern songs are by no means easy to sing. That, I'd say is really sad. I heard my step-granddaughter, who has quite a talent, learning to sing 'Roxanne' via Rock Band or whatever the name of that is. Hmm. Okay. She did sing it a couple of times around the house, but not much. And that particular song is actually a fairly mild example. Rap, of course, is quite another question.

These are the thoughts have have been fluttering around me, but I want to end with an anecdote. Years ago when I was at the Royal Ballet School, we were given the task of choreographing a small dance. The music I chose for mine (I can't remember, but maybe there were three of us) was Ravel's 'Pavane for a Dead Princess'. About thirty years later one of our sons learned to play it on his flute. Maybe because I love the silvery sound of this instrument it occurred to me that this would be a piece I'd like to have played at my funeral (no morbid aspect intended!!). I remembered that this morning, and thought well, I wonder if I would change my mind and choose something different now, all these years later (probably thirty, coming to think of it!). It was quite a while since I heard this music.

Off I went to bath and when I came back to the bedroom what do you think was playing on Radio Canada? Uh huh. You guessed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment