Monday, November 9, 2009

An auspicious day

November 9th is my husband's birthday, so yes, it has to be an auspicious day for me and us and our family.

However, there's another anniversary that I want to write about today, and that's to do with world events.

Twenty years ago today we saw two unexpected and extraordinary events that were to have far reaching effects. They were the fall of the Berlin Wall, heralding the end of communism in Eastern Europe; and in South Africa the announcement the Nelson Mandela was to be released from prison, one of the first steps in the dismantling of apartheid.

It's still amazing to me when I look back. And I have to wonder what particular forces were working into the world at that time. Both political systems had existed for forty years, and on one day everything changed. Truly amazing.

As we approach Remembrance Day on Wednesday, I'm reminded that November is the month when the dead are closest to us. And I have to wonder if there's some small relationship between this and that auspicious and extraordinary day, 9th November twenty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment