Sunday, August 10, 2008

messaging

While we were away, I quite got into texting. well, it's cheaper than calling on the cell phone. I'm getting quite adept at tapping those little keys in order to get the letter I want, and am even learning the abbreviations like c u. and what 4 ? (haven't discovered how to add the question mark as yet)

During my younger days in London I used to travel by tube. There I'd sit, gazing up at the advertisements, one of which proclaimed 'Gt a gd job and mo pay'. So I was thinking it was a pity I didn't go for that kind of shorthand instead of learning Pitmans, now long forgotten. It would have stood me in good stead in these modern times.

Still, now that I'm settled back, I find myself inclined to use the kind of shortenings that are okay for texting in my emails. I had to put on the brakes. And I began to think, what really is the meaning of spelling? Because I have a bit of a photographic memory, my spelling was always good, although it's deteriorated with age. Not that I ever entered a bee or anything like that, but, loving words, I took a certain satisfaction in knowing how to spell. Texting has kind of thrown that out the window for me.

So, is the meaning of spelling purely a historical one? Does it simply give us an etymological clue? I can't say I have any idea. On this question, I'm clueless. Maybe someone's come up with a study!?

No comments:

Post a Comment