Wednesday, November 21, 2007

pet names

We have many dogs around our new neighbourhood. It strikes me that mostly, today, people give their pets human names. I mean, when did you last meat a dog called Rover, or Tray, the traditional type of canine names?

In our family we tend towards food names for our pets. We had a cat called 'Mealie' which is the South African term for corn. And a border collie named Guava after the exotic fruit -- and a wonderful dog she was too. She first belonged to our daughter when she was at university. Then our son took her over. When he left the country, we had her at home and when we left the country, my parents were her proud and happy owners.

But still, I wonder what that tendency says about our family??

Our son's girlfriend has two dogs, named Brownie and Brie. Somehow that tells me she's already part of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment